What Is A Professional?Inside strictest a sense the word, a “professional” would be somebody who makes his living only playing music. But whether that describes you or you are a ways from the that, what you actually need is to get a professional's attitude to acquire ahead both on an individual level, by using a band, or simply a recording project. Let's take a look at the qualities of an professional attitude.
As professional musician you:
1. are normally on time. Time is money and a reliable is not only when they're due, in fact early (as illustrated in most other chapters of this book). If he's delayed and won't go through the agreed time, he calls ahead to make certain everyone is aware, then gives his best estimate when he'll arrive.
2.are normally offered to ideas. In lieu of arguing about the value of a good idea, a reliable simply says, “I have never tried that before, but I'm really interest to listen to what it may sound like!” No clue wrong in size crazy to at the very least consider, because you never know when something that you initially thought was too wild can be the perfect answer to a difficulty or addition to a song.
3.are focused only within the music. Every time a professional was at a rehearsal, gig or recording session, he's 100% there along with the minute and focused on giving the ideal performance she can. He's not thinking about his girlfriend, paying the bills, or maybe the after-gig party. All his concentration if within the music.
4. are offered to criticism or suggestions concerning how to play something. A reliable doesn't take any suggestion or criticism personally. He takes it inside the spirit of making the tunes better. This is usually a hard someone to uphold, particularly criticism isn't too far off from someone significantly less sensitive just like you, however it is what's right to do. If a person has been abusive however, it's OK to convey, “I can't agree with you, and unless you speak if you ask me in a respectful manner, this conversation is over.”
5. present others ideas in a respectful manner. He doesn't say, “I ought to sing this as your singing sucks.” He says, “Could you mind if I give it a go simply to see the way it happens?”
6. takes responsibility for mistakes. A reliable immediately owns around any mistake, oversight, error or blunder and says, “Sorry, it had been my fault,” and accepts the consequences.
7. never party face to face. Mentionened above previously back a little bit, a reliable is 100% focused within the music at hand. While a handful of beers may well not constitute a celebration, it certainly does not help you play better throughout a rehearsal or gig if your mind isn't all there. There's plenty of time to party later so save it until then.
8. treat your band mates with respect. A reliable treats his fellow musicians as equals and peers and wouldn't intentionally do or say almost anything to disrespect any one them.
9. treat your road crew, engineers, light man and everybody discussing this guitar rock band with respect. A reliable understands that all folks around him are fitting in with get him to sound and appear better and in addition they need to be treated respectfully as well.
10. treat your audience with respect. A reliable understands that he's there to entertain the crowd and without one he'd be playing at home in his bedroom.
For those who assume a reliable attitude by simply following the above mentined points, you will find that the respect in your case will grow, any interpersonal tensions will ease, and band and session life will suddenly go a lot smoother.