Fruity Squeeze is
Creating a Dubstep sound
- First I create a fat synth sound with Poizone or Toxic Biohazard. There are good presets to start with. Sometimes I take a guitar. For guitar I use FL Slayer with a distorted sound and Powerchords.
- In the Effects slot to this instrument in the Mixer I add "Glitch". I usually start with slot 3 to be able to add effects before this slot. Although it is easy to move a slot up or down later. Ok, "Glitch" is in slot 3 now.
- I put chords into the playlist of this instrument. Let's say one chord on 1 and one chord on 3 in this bar with duration quarter note.
- Now I open "Glitch" with a click and try out effects while playing the bar. I choose effect after effect with the "Solo Toggle"-button. Details later.
- Last step in this workflow is to optimize the sound with filters and other effects. I add "Soundgoodizer", what is included in Fruity Loops, and Reverb. I do not use the Fruity Loops Reverb effect "Fruity Reeverb 2", I have a third-party-plugin, but "Fruity Reeverb 2" is not bad. I always put the reverb after the "Soundgoodizer", because "Soundgoodizer" is doing compression and a signal including reverb compressed does not sound good. (yes, I know, it can be a stylish effect)
Effects in Glitch
I first choose one effect with "Solo Toggle"-button and "Mix" to 100%.
Then I set the parameters while I play the bar in Fruity Loops.
- Tape Stop is a effect I like. Sounds like stopping the tape. I like to set the "Slow Down" to high or maximum and "Speed up" to minimum. For a "start the tape"-effect I would set the "Slow Down" to minimum and "Speed up" to a higher value. In this case I would use a sound with a short Attack to blend away the short slowing down at the beginning.
- Modulator is a effect, where the signal is modulated onto a sine. Set the frequency with the "Frequency"-knob. I never add the sine-signal, so "Sine Mix" is always zero. I seldom use this, because it destroys the signal, I would use it as something like noise percussion. But in this case I ask myself: why not use a WAV with a noise that fits perfectly to the song or - my preference - use a sequence in Absynth (Native Instruments synthesizer)?
- Retrigger is retriggering the signal and changing pitch. I love this effect. I usually set the "Pitch" to -3. With this effect it is useful to set the Mix to 50% to add the effect to the signal.
- Shuffler is shuffling the signal. I don't like this effect (that's my taste...).
- Reverser is playing the signal reverse. Can be a quite funny effect. The length in the Sequencer has a big impact on the effect.
- Crusher is crushing the signal. I would prefer the Fruity Loops plugin "Fruity Squeeze" for having more control over the effect. The more every effect in "Fruity Squeeze" is MIDI-programmable with Fruity Loops methods. The Crusher parameters are also programmable via MIDI-learn function, what I did not try yet.
- Gater is hacking the signal. I like to set the "Speed" to 4 or 8 and "Length" to 50% - 80%.
- Delay is an effect I never use, because I have this effect in Fruity Loops. Why put it to the Glitch sequencer?
- Stretcher is stretching the tone. I use it to hold the leading tone.
Sequencer in GlitchI always set effects black (no effect) to a step. I never use the random function "R", because results are unpredictable. To start off with the sequencer I sometimes push the button "Both" of the randomize function to get a quick start. I usually do not use the filter sections. I process the signal in Fruity Loops Mixer.
Useful linksShort info about Glitch and Download link:
Glitch video tutorials on YouTube:
Fruity Loops Online Manual