What I did in my example-picture:
(See the photoshop layers on the bottom right)
- Text: ORIGINAL and FINAL with a Noise-effect
- Text glow: Text copied to layer under text and blurred with a little colour change
- Orig: the original photo on top
- Gradients dark / transparent: in the middle transparent, the rest black
- Highpass: highpass of photo to sharpen contours. 2.5 pixel - only contours
- Highpass & smotth alien: Highpass again, but only alienhead. deleted the rest.
- Photo: the original photo
The picture was taken with automatic mode of whitebalance, focus,... I prefer to shoot (or let shoot in this case) with automatic. I work out everything later with Photoshop.
I often shoot with small cameras for spontanous ideas. That works fine, but RAW-format is better.
Here the photo - original above the work: